Truck Fire

Reporting of Injuries, Diseases & Dangerous Occurences - RIDDOR

Over the last five years, accident reports sent to HSE and local authorities show that nearly 60 employees were killed and 5,000 seriously injured in haulage and distribution - simply doing their job. Another 23,000 suffered injuries severe enough to keep them off work more than three days. These figures take no account of work-related ill health - from bad backs or stress. This represents a higher rate of accidents to employees than either construction or agriculture, both widely regarded as hazardous industries.

These figures are unaceptable in today's modern society where a plethora of regulation and procedural practice pervades in an industry that has introduced speed limiters, safer working practices, reduced working hours through the Road Transport WTD and equally so the EC Drivers Hours Rules (561/06). There's no such thing as an accident. A 'so called' accident is wholly down to the negligence of one or more individuals not adhering to sensible policy/procedure, which enevitably results in pain, suffering and unecessary cost for all involved. A little more thought, a lot less speed in the workplace and doing things properly rather than looking for short cuts will undoubtedly make for safer working and ultimately save lives.

What is RIDDOR?
RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995, referred to as RIDDOR for short. These Regulations came into force on 1 April 1996. The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), place a legal duty on:

As such, you are required under the regulations to report work-related deaths, major injuries or over-three-day injuries, work related diseases, and dangerous occurrences (near miss accidents). The easiest way to do this, is by calling the Incident Contact Centre (ICC) where you'll be sent a copy of the information recorded and you will be able to correct any errors or omissions.

Reporting accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. The information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities, to identify where and how risks arise, and to investigate serious accidents. The enforcing authorities can then help you and provide advice on how to reduce injury, and ill health in your workplace.

From 6 April 2012, subject to Parliamentary approval, RIDDOR's over three day injury reporting requirement will change. From then the trigger point will increase from over three days' to over seven days' incapacitation (not counting the day on which the accident happened).

[back to top]

What is reportable under RIDDOR?
As an employer, a person who is self-employed, or someone in control of work premises, you have legal duties under RIDDOR that require you to report and record some work-related accidents by the quickest means possible. If there is an accident connected with work and your employee, or a self-employed person working on the premises, or a member of the public is killed you must notify the enforcing authority without delay. The procedure for reporting serious injuries at work is identical and should be followed in the same manner.

Reportable major injuries are:

If there is an accident connected with work (including an act of physical violence) and your employee, or a self-employed person working on your premises, suffers an over-three-day injury you must report it to the enforcing authority within ten days.
An over-three-day injury is one which is not "major" but results in the injured person being away from work or unable to do the full range of their normal duties for more than three days.

What is a reportable Disease or Occurence?
If a doctor notifies you that your employee suffers from a reportable work-related disease, then you must report it to the enforcing authority. Reportable diseases include:

If something happens which does not result in a reportable injury, but which clearly could have done, then it may be a dangerous occurrence which must be reported immediately and is referred to as a Reportable dangerous occurrence (near miss). Reportable dangerous occurrences are:

[back to top]

When do I need to make a report?
Although the Regulations specify varying timescales for reporting different types of incidents, it is report the incident as soon as possible by calling the Incident Contact Centre. In cases of death, major injury, or dangerous occurrences, you must notify the enforcing authority without delay.
Cases of over-three-day injuries must be notified within ten days of the incident occurring.
Cases of disease should be reported as soon as a doctor notifies you that your employee suffers from a reportable work-related disease.

What records do I need to keep?
You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. This must include:

You can keep the record in any form you wish. You could, for example, choose to keep your records by:

If you choose to report the incident by telephone or through the HSE web site, the ICC will send you a copy of the record held within the database. You will be able to request amendments to the record if you feel the report is not fully accurate.
The ICC is a 'one-stop' reporting service for work-related health and safety incidents in the UK. It was established on 1 April 2001 and is primarily a call centre, open from Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:00pm. If you wish to speak to an ICC operator, just call 0845 300 99 23. All information will remain confidential.

Further Reading
For further information pertaining to RIDDOR, please use the links below.

RIDDOR - Reporting Information Page
RIDDOR - Contact Center
RIDDOR - Government Regulations

[back to top]

Copyright © 2007 - | Transports Friend