Road Transport Operations Finland

Finland is located in northern EuropeIt is one of the world’s most northern and geographically remote countries and is subject to a severe climate. Nearly two-thirds of Finland is blanketed by thick woodlands, making it the most densely forested country in Europe. There are currently circa 5.5 million people living in Finland. 

Originally a part of Sweden from the 12th century until 1809, Finland was then a Russian grand duchy until, following the Russian Revolution, the Finns declared independence on December 6, 1917.  


UK hauliers may carry goods to, through or from the country,. Goods can also be carried from Finland to a third country and vice versa if permitted by the terms of any agreement between the three countries. Cabotage is permitted. 

Dangerous Goods 

Finland is party to the ADR agreement, therefore all ADR requirements will apply.. The following organisations may be able to assist UK carriers moving Hazardous Chemicals to Finland. 

Finnish Transport and Communication Agency 

PO Box 320 
FI-00059 Traficom, Finland  
Tel:  +358 29 534 5000 

Class 7 

Finnish Centre for Radiation and Nuclear Safety 
PO Box. 14 FIN-00881 Helsinki  
Tel:  +358 9 759 881 
Fax: + 358 9 759 88500 

You can also visit the UNECE website at the link below & select the country name applicable. 

Abnormal Loads 

Special authorisation must be obtained if vehicles/loads exceed maximum permitted weights and dimensions. The Finnish governments view on whether a Permit for Abnormal Load movements is required is:

'An abnormal transport is a transport of a vehicle or vehicle combination, having either no-load or an indivisible load, which exceeds at least one authorised dimension or weight allowed in normal road traffic in Finland'. 

All abnormal load operators will require a keeper’s certificate to prove ownership of the trailer which must be carried as part of the vehicle documents at all times.
An application form can be downloaded below:


Movement Restrictions 

There are no driving restrictions on public holidays or weekends. 

Road, Tunnel & Bridge Tolls 

Currently none applicable that we are aware of. 


There are no transit taxes. Goods vehicles can import a full tank of fuel. 


TIR Carnets are accepted for loads crossing the country. ATA Carnets are accepted for certain temporary imports. CMR notes are required. 

Vehicle Legal Documentation 

  • Green Card required, plus original vehicle registration docs.
  • A GB plate must be fitted to the rear of vehicle/trailer.
  • Trailer Registration Certificate is a requirement. To register for a trailer certificate visit 

Maximum Weights & Dimensions 


4.2 metres 


2.6 metres 


Artic 16.5 metres Road Train 18.75 metres 
A vehicle with trailer and semi-trailer 25.25 metres 
There are also other maximum lengths on vehicles and trailers according to the number of axles 


Artic up to 48 tonnes (subject to a number of axles) 
Road Train up to 60 tonnes (subject to a number of axles) 
There are also various maximum permitted weights on vehicles, trailers and road trains which are applicable according to the number of axles 

Safety Equipment 

It is not compulsory to carry snow chains but they MUST be used in winter months. Studded and winter tyres are compulsory in December, January & February. Other requirements include:

  • Dipped headlights are compulsory at all times 
  • Fire extinguishers are advised generally but are compulsory on Dangerous Goods vehicles 
  • Hi-Vis jackets must be worn in the event of a breakdown or accident 
  • Warning triangles are compulsory and should be placed 50 metres behind the vehicle in the event of a breakdown 
  • Seat belts must be worn 

Driver Legal Documents 

  • Full passport required but no visa required.
  • UK driving licence or International driving permit.
  • Letter from employer giving driver permission to drive vehicle (attestation letter and form).

If the UK fully leaves the EU on 31 January 2021, HGV drivers will require travel insurance with healthcare cover 

Speed Limits  

In built-up areas, the general speed limit is 50 km/h. This is indicated by the sign for a built-up area or by a normal speed limit sign. Outside built-up areas the general speed limit is 80 km/h unless a road sign indicates otherwise. In many built-up areas, a separate road sign is used to indicate a 30 km/h or 40 km/h speed limit for a particular road or area.  

Following the sign for a built-up area a 60 km/h speed limit may also be displayed. In this case, the speed limit concerns only that particular road; on the other roads, the general 50 km/h limit for built-up areas will apply, unless a road sign indicates otherwise. In a residential precinct indicated by a road sign, you must adjust your driving speed to walking pace. If there are no pedestrians the maximum speed limit is 20 km/h.  

In Finland, there are also winter speed limits. During the winter, most of the 100 km/h speed limits are reduced to 80 km/ h. On motorways, the 120 km/h limit is reduced to 100 km/h. On some stretches of road, there are variable speed limits used throughout the year, according to the road and weather conditions.  


The use of dipped beams or daytime running lights is mandatory at all times. 

The following links provide guidance and further information

British Embassy 

Itäinen Puistotie 17 
00140 Helsinki 
Tel: +358 (0)9 2286 5100  

Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency 

Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency P.O. Box 33 
Tel: +358 295 34 3000